Sunday, January 27, 2013

Healthified Sweet and Sour Chicken

I'm kind of a Pinterest addict and I have fun making the recipes I find.  Many of the recipes claim to be healthy, but when I crunch the numbers, the calories are slightly higher than I'd like.  I discovered a recipe for sweet and sour chicken that promised to be great.  The recipe can be found here:

Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken with Fried Rice

The first time I make it, I substituted agave nectar for sugar and olive oil for canola oil.  Like the pin promised, it was one of the best recipes I've ever tried!  But even with the substitutions, I wasn't thrilled with the calories.  Tonight, I baked it again, but I decided not to coat the chicken or brown it in oil.

Here is my modified recipe:

3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Sweet and sour sauce:

3/4 cup agave nectar or honey
4 tbs ketchup
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1 tbs light soy sauce
1 tsp garlic salt

Preheat oven to 325º.  Boil a 1-2 cups of water in a skillet.  Dice the chicken breasts and and place in skillet.  Stir chicken frequently until chicken is almost cooked through.  Place chicken in a 9x13 in. pan.  Mix the sauce and pour over chicken.  Bake for 45-60 min., stirring every 15 min.

Guess what?  It still tasted amazing!  I served it with rice and mixed veggies...and ate it before I remembered to take a picture.  I'm new to this blogging thing, but I'll catch on!

Serves 4
Calories (per serving):  358
Carbs:  52 g
Fat:  10 g
Protein:  10 g

No comments:

Post a Comment